A guide to the vegetables and other foods that are safe to feed to your rabbits and other small pets.
Small pets will enjoy a small portion of fresh food and vegetables alongside their regular daily diet. Herbivores such as rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas and degus will benefit from a small quantity of fresh fibrous leafy green vegetables every day. Here you can find out which fresh vegetables and other foods that are safe to feed to your rabbits and other small pets and what you should avoid.
- No rabbits or other small pets should be offered avocado, chocolate or apple seeds
- Foods to always feed to rabbits and other small pets form the basis of what should be offered, along with your pet’s normal, formulated pet food
- Foods to feed occasionally to your rabbits and other small pets are treats that can form a valid part of the diet, but for various reasons this shouldn’t be every day. For example, the sugar content could be too high, or other things such as high levels of oxalates that can be found in spinach
- It is important as a pet owner that you should always avoid feeding your rabbits and other small pets any formulated diets that are designed for a different species of pet.
- All pets must have access to clean fresh water at all times.
- Never feed food stuffs that appear dusty, mouldy or otherwise dirty. In most cases human grade foods are required.
Here is a list of foods that are safe and unsafe to feed to your rabbits and small pets. This list is not exhaustive and is intended as a guide, however if you have any further questions, you can reach us on our facebook page, or get in touch via our contact us page.
- ALWAYS – A source of fresh clean water, Hay, a portion of rabbit food, most leafy greens, fresh and dried herb mixes, dandelion leaves, carrot tops, wild plants as long as correctly identified.
- SOMETIMES – broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, celery, carrots, green beans.
- TREATS – apple (without seeds), raspberries, strawberries, cucumber.
- NEVER – dairy, apple seeds, meat, chocolate, citrus fruits, avocados, any houseplant, any plant that grows from a bulb, leeks/onions, iceberg lettuce and rhubarb
Guinea Pigs (herbivores)
- ALWAYS – A source of fresh clean water, hay, a portion of guinea pig food, most leafy greens, fresh and dried herb mixes, dandelion leaves, wild plants as long as they are correctly identified.
- SOMETIMES – broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, celery, carrots, green beans, tomatoes.
- TREATS – apple (without seeds) raspberries, strawberries, cucumber, citrus fruits i.e Oranges.
- NEVER – dairy, apple seeds, dried fruits, meat, chocolate, avocados, any houseplant, and plant grown from a bulb, leeks/onions, iceberg lettuce and rhubarb.
- ALWAYS – A source of fresh clean water, a portion of hamster food, a variety of green vegetables (asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, chard, sweet corn, kale, cress, courgette) Berries (black berries and raspberries) and stone fruits (plums, peaches – remove stones from stone fruits).
- SOMETIMES – Squash, pumpkin, strawberries, banana, melon, cooked unsalted low-fat meats (e.g. chicken mince), low fat cottage cheese, cooked eggs, bread, grains, live crickets/mealworms.
- TREATS – Low sugar or sugar free breakfast cereals, seeds and nuts (unsalted)
- NEVER – Sweet almonds, apple seeds, chocolate, raw kidney beans, avocado, rhubarb, onions and leeks.
- ALWAYS – A source of fresh clean water, a portion of rat food, leafy green vegetables, cooked grains, cooked legumes (never raw), fruits (no apple seeds or avocado) small amounts of cooked meats, low fat cottage cheese and cooked eggs.
- SOMETIMES – Raw or cooked corn, beetroot, celery, aubergine, lettuce, cucumber, spinach, radishes, live insects.
- TREATS – Small amounts of no sugar added dried fruits, small amounts of toast, small amounts of yogurt (soya rather than dairy), low sugar baby food
- NEVER – Citrus skin, uncooked dry beans and peanuts, mango, chocolate, poppy seeds, apple seeds, avocado, raw sweet potato, artichokes, dried corn, onions/leeks and rhubarb.
Ferrets (obligate carnivores)
- ALWAYS – A source of fresh clean water, a portion of ferret food, cooked or raw eggs, raw chicken wings/thighs with bones (must be human grade produce, and fed fresh – remove if not eaten rapidly).
- SOMETIMES – small amounts of liver or fish.
- TREATS – kitten/cat of ferret treats, ferret oil (can be fish oil or similar).
- NEVER – anything with added sugar or carbohydrate e.g. dog foods, other types of biscuit, fruits, vegetables, chocolate, avocado, apple seeds.
- ALWAYS – A source of fresh clean water, hay, a portion of chinchilla food, dried herb mixes, dandelion leaves.
- SOMETIMES – fresh herb mixes, fibrous leafy greens (kale, radicchio), carrots and celery.
- TREATS – raisins (1 raisin once a week), dried cranberries (1 cranberry once a week), apple (without seeds), dried rosehips, blueberries and grapes.
- NEVER – legumes, seeds, beans, whole peas, sugary fruits, banana, chocolate, meat/dairy products, avocado, chocolate.
- ALWAYS –A source of fresh clean water, hay (not alfalfa), portion of degu food, dried herbs, squash, pumpkin, bell peppers.
- SOMETIMES – Peas, carrots, sweet potato, cucumber, corn, cherry tomato, green beans, dandelion leaves, culinary herbs, carrot tops, cauliflower, celery, Brussels sprouts.
- TREATS – dry toast, Ryvita or similar dry sugar free crackers, frozen vegetables, rolled oats.
- NEVER – raisins, sugary fruits, yogurt treats, apple seeds, avocado, chocolate.
- ALWAYS – A source of fresh clean water, a portion of gerbil food, hay/dried leaf mixes, some fresh leafy greens.
- SOMETIMES – Pear, melon, apples (without seeds) orange, cucumber, carrot, pumpkin, fennel.
- TREATS – Sunflower or pumpkin seeds, live insects.
- NEVER – Grapes, rhubarb, appleseeds, dairy, meat, avocado, chocolate .
- ALWAYS – a portion of mouse food, green leafy vegetables (broccoli, kale) crunchy fruits (apples without seeds, pears), peas, cooked grains.
- SOMETIMES – Live insect food, cooked pasta, cooked meats, yogurt (soya rather than dairy).
- TREATS – Low sugar cereal, store-bought treats, boiled egg, millet sprays and untreated applewood.
- NEVER – chocolate, peanuts, citrus fruits, onions, raw meats, apple seeds, avocado.